Throwing a Halloween party is always a lot of fun because of the creativity surrounding the holiday. In addition to getting haunting decorations, planning a scary delicious menu and sending out the perfect party invitations, you’ll get to watch with excitement as your friends show up dressed up in unique costumes. And while witnessing the freak parade will be a blast, you’ll need something more to keep your guest entertained and keep your party going strong. Settling in to watch scary Halloween movies is a great way to get everyone spooked. This list of 10 scary Halloween movies- for adult eyes only- will help you to set the spooky mood. If you’d rather your guests interacted more, you can have these flicks playing in the background.
Top 10 Scary Halloween Movies
10. The Amityville Horror. Based on a true story, The Amityville Horror follows the Lutz family as they experience severe paranormal activity in a house that turned out to be the scene of a family’s brutal murder. There are several versions of this horror flick, the latest of which was released in 2005. Some controversy remains over how much of this story is actually true, but regardless, it’s one of the best scary Halloween movies to show at a party.
9. Psycho. Treat your party guests to this 1960 Alfred Hitchcock classic. This film centers on the encounter between a secretary, Marion, and a mentally disturbed motel owner, Norman Bates, after Leigh checks into the motel. The infamous shower scene alone is reason enough to rent this flick. There is also a remake of Psycho, which was released in 1998 and stars Vince Vaughn and Anne Heche. If your party is long enough, you can watch both version and see which one was done better.
8. Splinter. In this grisly Sci Fi horror film, a couple on their way to spend a romantic weekend in the woods gets car jacked by another couple. The foursome soon encounter something much worse than car theft: an infectious mold that takes over the body of its dead hosts. Action-packed and terrifying, Splinter is sure to get under your guests’ skin.
7. The Exorcist. There’s nothing quite like this classic, and it’s certainly a movie your party guests will recognize. The story of a young girl’s demonic possession and the struggle to free her is portrayed so well, The Exorcist still has a cult following despite its 1973 release. Set the scary tone for your party by playing this movie in the background as your guests arrive.
6. Paranormal Activity. Released in 2007, this movie portrays a young couple who suspect they are being tormented by a demon. The couple sets up cameras in their home, so this film is shot in “found footage” style, much like The Blair Witch Project. There’s something about found footage that makes a scary movie even scarier. Paranormal Activity has three sequels that are just as chilling and make great Halloween movies.
5. The Shining. The movie adaptation of Stephen King’s novel is said to be one of the scariest films of all time. A man moves his family into an old hotel to be caretakers for the winter, unaware that it’s haunted. The scenes that follow are so scary, your party guests may want to spend the night…with the lights on.
4. Se7en. This 1995 film, starring Brad Pitt, Morgan Freeman and Gwyneth Paltrow, profiling two homicide detectives who become deeply involved in a case whose carefully planned murders correspond to the seven deadly sins. This isn’t necessarily a horror film, but the gruesome murder scenes and intense ending make it a must-watch on Halloween.
3. Trick R Treat. Released in 2007 and starring Anna Paquin, Trick R Treat is a collection of four scary stories that all intersect in the end. The constant presence of Sam, a young trick-or-treater with a burlap sack over his head, serves as a friendly reminder to follow Halloween traditions. This is a perfect Halloween flick, though it may make you reconsider opening your door to trick-or-treaters.
2. Texas Chainsaw Massacre. This movie is gory, gross, and downright great for Halloween viewing. Originally released in 1974, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre tells the story of a group of friends who fall victim to a family of cannibals. The grisly meathook scene and the scary Leatherface will haunt your nightmares for weeks. Texas Chainsaw 3D, the latest sequel, was released in 2013.
1. Halloween. No list of scary Halloween movies would be complete without this classic! Released in 1978, Halloween gave Jamie Lee Curtis her film debut. Curtis plays the role of Laurie, a high school student who is stalked by Michael, who murdered his sister as a child and has recently escaped from a mental institution. Her battle for her life on Halloween night will keep your party guests on the edges of their seats no matter how many times they’ve seen it. Simple, memorable and totally terrifying, this flick tops the list of best Halloween movies.
There are all types of Halloween movies available… some silly, some cheesy and some downright funny. But if you’re looking for a good scare, select a film or two from this list for a frightful Halloween night.